Pages

Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Not My Pain... a different type of shape, sickle; they say

I really don't know what I want to write about, maybe its the headache, or the body pain I feel just because I was trying to impress some girl at the gym yesterday... but then, I have it good. So many sad stories lately, people dying, young people especially but I have learnt not to question God. About my pain. it makes me wonder how sickle cellers (as my aunt calls them) feel and then I remembered a post by (Muhammad Abdullahi: @dat88boi *0n twitter*) I saw on the iBlend bb chat group. Take a moment and forget your pain, see life through the heart of someone who feels his own pain.... Please dont stop now!.


"Growing up with Sickle Cell Anemia in me, is the greatest challenge ever.
Sometimes it makes me feel like life has no meaning.

You have a lot of rules to abide by, so all the things i loved doing as a kid i couldn't do.
I had to stop playing football which i liked, completely, because i was giving reasons not to.
I Cant party freely without anticipating crisis, and i love my parties.

If you go against these rules knowingly or unknowingly then the pain crisis comes to take life out of you.

When the pains take over the control of my body, i then wish i had someone to talk to me, not necessarily give me advice, but to speak continously as i listen and feel their heartbeat.

This routine helps me a lot because the pains are so persistent and excruciating that i sometimes
forget the essence of my existence.

I experience a lot of pains in my bones and joints, have fever, and i deal with other complications all in one attack by my Sickle Cell disease.

When i am in a crisis, the pain is usually so severe that no medication is strong enough to make me stop hurting completely.

The pain sometimes takes away my physical ability, makes me unable to walk with my legs, and sometimes i cant even carry something as light as a rubber cup.

In such situations, I blashpem lol, but i ask God for forgivenes when i realise my wrong.

Most times I look at my folks, tears in their eyes, with no hope but pity for me, thinking that moment of inestimable and seemingly unsummountable pain might probably be my last on earth. Some even wish they could take some of the physical pain and share with me.

My parents played a strong role in helping me have a normal and healthy life.
They gave me hope, helped me through the pains, cried when i cried, smiled when i smiled, when the pain subsided.

I lost some friends over the years, some over a decade ago, and everytime i'm being rushed into the emergency ward, i always feel that my time to join them has come.
But here i am, still istill in the struggle, still alive.

The idea and fact that they are in a better place, with no pain but pleasure, playing and eating freely without the fear of any crisis, makes me wish i could join them, anytime i'm in pains.

Death became no scare to me, because i had seen many of my type succumb to it.
Of late, having Sickle Cell didn't really bother me, only when i was in serious pains.

The truth is i always look at Sickle Cell as my gift and my curse.
I became an advocate when i was about 11 years old, from advocating for Child's Right to HIV and AIDS to Youthful Media, and even Global Peace and Unity.

I decided to do all these because of the challenges posed to me by Sickle Cell Anemia, to prove to the world that my type can still do extra-ordinary things if they wish to and nohting can stop them, no! not even the UN-imaginable pain" - Muhammad Abdullahi ( @dat88boi on twitter).



Now I'm glad I saved this post, take a moment and pray for the sick, take another moment and be thankful for the gift of life.


Randomly Yours,
Andy
April 2010

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Talking about not knowing what you have eh? Nice post

    ReplyDelete