Pages

Wednesday, 1 June 2011

What happened to that girl? Humility...Random Rambling Series



She was so pretty, quiet and naive... everybody loved her. She stayed in her room all the time with the lights off and the duvet over her head. Everybody loved her, they claimed they had her but they lied. They lie everyday because the truth is, she ran away because she was in the room for so long and no one noticed her, they forgot her name. They haven't even noticed that she barely exists anymore. Her name is her virtue, she is Humility.

It is funny how the best examples of people now come from twitter or facebook. There is someone who fits every and any description on the internet. You know that friend you have always known in university or high school and you find the person on the internet like a character from a Mills and something novel (can't remember the name) or like an actor from a movie playing a script to perfection and you cant help but ask: is this not that Andy who was timid, stupid and very bla bla bla? Truth is that people change either for good or negatively but the fact is that people will change.

I have a couple of friends who dated the same girl Humility (you still don't get?), these guys were really nice and cool but I look at them in recent times and I feel like hitting a rock on their heads when I see how much they have changed and the type of things they say especially on social networking sites, precisely twitter and I'm guessing a couple of people see me in the same light because I may as well be writing about myself and my flaws but putting it on other people because we really love to place blames on the next guy. This is where I will try to tell you about Humility and her ex-boyfriends.

MUSICIANS
You used to beg people to listen to and play your songs, you were a nobody and technically you are still in the process of becoming a success story but your attitude is so repulsive it would make a non-living thing puke. You now talk about places you've never been to or things you've never done, you come on twitter and complain about that boy/girl stalking you when in reality you literally came on to that person. Delete that part. Lets talk about the things you speak about. You go to a town where people are paying to see you but you would rather come on twitter to slag the town and your hotel room because PHCN has don abracadabra for 5 mins and you come on twitter to cuss out the town or the fans who won't let you rest? we know you need to rest and you are most likely "jet-lagged after a 45minute flight ", if there is anything like that... what happened to humility? What would she say?

BLACKBERRY, IPHONES, IPADS AND SNAPTU RUBBISH
Someone I respected so much just needed to say something to make me lose a chunk of respect I had for her. She saw my beautiful black and curvaceous blackberry curve and said "I will rather not have a phone than use a blackberry curve, If it is not a WHITE BOLD I wont bother". Hmmm that was my phone which someone bought for me as a gift and I really really appreciated it because 1) it takes great pictures in the day time, 2) It actually lets me use twitter, bbm, Facebook and Whatsapp without saying ~sent using bb torch 3) I could listen to my music on it. That's my own personal example, she had the right to have her opinion, maybe I read meanings into things too much but I feel there are certain things you just shouldn't say. Then there are the Ipad and iPhone users who may just chat shit about other devices just because they have got a device which will be outdated when apple releases the upgrade 6months later.

I was going through tweets on one night and a couple of girls and guys were having a bubble at people who use Snaptu.(Most people are guilty of this and may take offense but go wash your perception with soap and palm oil). I was quick to notice this because I am aware my kid brother sister both use snaptu and I know I've seen it on the Blackberry app world but nay, some people think you are a broke ass to be using snaptu as it means you can't afford a blackberry and so you are not up to them. How many of you actually bought that phone yourself and even if you did, has it occurred to you that not everybody can afford that phone you own? She left you didn't she? Humility.


ENGLISH TEACHER(S)
Teachers remind me of school and also about break time and bells. I hated school for the 1st 20 years of my life so it is only natural to hate bells. By bells in this instance I mean #Gbagaun. You think it is only Goodluck Jonathan who had no shoes and had to trek to school? The fact that you went to a couple of good schools and maybe you had the opportunity to watch fancy movies and you were able to brush up your English doesn't give you the right to embarrass people who speak bad English. Now I have to google some things to be sure the spelling is right just because I want to tweet or update my status? We should be ashamed of ourselves because we are no different from the bullies in school who beat up the vulnerable kids. Yeah I know it is all fun and games but has it ever occurred to you that those bullies really think or thought they were joking? Not everyone has or had the opportunities you had. I'm not being funny, but we've all had the occasional laugh at 2face and Rita of Koko Mansion, ever wonder why they don't tweet freely? There's a huge possibility that it is because we have made them feel they do not belong to our elite clan of educated and smart English teachers on twitter. I've been called too sensitive and touchy for this topic so I'll let people joke on as usual but hey, its just my rambling opinion.

What happened to that girl? Humility. She was so pretty, quiet and naive... everybody loved her. She stayed in her room all the time with the lights off and the duvet over her head. Everybody loved her, they claimed they had her but they lied. They lie everyday because the truth is, she ran away because she was in the room for so long and no one noticed her, they forgot her name. They haven't even noticed that she barely exists anymore. Her name is her virtue, she is Humility.

It is not a girl, its a virtue we should remember, we are all guilty and I have more things to ramble about but I'm beginning to bore myself, I know I maybe guilty of some things I have just rambled about, I also hope I don't delete this post as I have done with my last three notes which never got posted. But hey its a new month and we should have something to have in sight. This rambling may just make sense to someone... Be nice to the next man, no one knows his pain, no one knows tomorrow.

To be continued...


Randomly Yours
That_Andy
June 1, 2011


Find this and others on www.iblend.net

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting!

    The issue of attacking people that speak bad English caught my attention. To be honest, I find it mostly hilarious. When it all sinks in however, I ask myself; could they not have consulted a dictionary? Is that how they hear other people speaking?

    Granted, bullying them is not the way forward, however, that laxity of 'English no be my papa language' should be discouraged. English most certainly is our official language in Nigeria and we would do well to speak it properly.

    You hear politicians, leaders and 'celebs' with such bad diction that you actually feel embarrassed for them. They may not have had the privilege of attending posh schools but they can afford to pay tutors to teach them. I watched one of the presidential debates and based on the diction of one of the candidates alone, he lost my support (if he ever had it).

    In my opinion, it boils down to us not wanting to learn or improve ourselves. It's not about acquiring a phoney American accent, it is about learning to the speak correctly the language in which the Nigerian constitution is written. Come on, people have smart phones and they don't even have a dictionary installed on it.

    No one should be bullied about their inability to speak English (if doubtless they had no opportunity) but they should at least try to learn. The only way to learn is to read. Read! Read!! Read!!!

    ReplyDelete