Pages

Sunday, 31 March 2013

Hang On (unedited)

I remember when I used to enjoy writing, when I could just imagine a topic and randomly ramble on about it until it bores someone to death or it makes sense to the reader. Safe to say I'm assuming that I actually have readers, but seeing that you are already reading this, then you may as well continue. I'd love to ask how you spent the Easter break and all of that but to be honest do we really want to know how people celebrated the break or are we just asking for the heck of it? If you had a good one, great. If you had a boring or tough Easter, hey hang in there and find one reason to be thankful.

It is the last day of March and Andy is cleaning up the mess in the kitchen, thanks to the feast they had as part of the Easter celebration .As usual he blocks out the world by listening to music. He goes from Jason Mraz to Gavin DeGraw's album "Sweeter", listens to tracks one to four, stops at the fourth song (titled Soldier) and puts it on repeat. Light bulb moment happened thanks to a line in the song where he said "Funny when times get hard at the last moment when you're supposed to charge... bla bla bla Still like a stone". In a minute all of his struggles, past and present flashed through his mind. Through it all, as much as he thought about all his problems and battles, he realised that he was able to come out strong. Most of the time, no one would imagine he was going through stuff, someone once told him that he always had everything under control. I guess that is what "still like stone" means. Do not even try to tell me stones have their own struggles. What if they do? Well, you get the drift.

As cliché as this may sound, we all have our battles and we have different ways of winning those battles. Some by staring it straight in the eyes and fixing it, some run away from it, some resolve it and some go as far as committing suicide to run away from their problems. The subtle reminder that we have been through loads of problematic situations and survived, is the factor that keeps me going. I tell myself hang on. Dolly Parton once said: If you want to see the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain. To be honest, most times I don't care about the rainbow and the rain could also be good but we can't help it. Sometimes there is no rainbow after the rain and we get to appreciate the rain.

Back to Andy, he remembered all the nights in university when he had to drive his car home with the gas tank on empty, wallet empty, hope/ faith: full to the brim. Some nights he got home safely, some nights he parked the car on the road and walked home. At the end of the day he didn't stop driving. Life will throw curve balls at us when everything is perfect, kick that ball, duck or sell that ball.

It took me a while to realise that I was on a high horse, frowning at the way people handle their problems. Thanks to social networking sites, most people put their problems out there and to be honest, as much as I wouldn't do that, I realise it is an "escape" and if it makes them feel better for ten minutes, then that is good enough for 10 minutes. I listen to songs to motivate myself (Praise you in this storm by Casting Crowns is my favourite), some people go for long walks or run, some hit the gym, some eat, etc. At the end of the day you still face those situations. In summation, no matter what is going on in your life at the moment, hang on. You'll be fine.


Randomly yours,
That Andy


March 2013

3 comments:

  1. What's up, always i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the break of day, since i enjoy to learn more and more.

    My weblog :: Shaundachambers.com

    ReplyDelete